Fourteenth Annual Stop the Wrecking Ball
801 West State Street
Saturday, November 19th, 2016
“We’re using our past to build our future”
Construction of Trinity Episcopal Cathedral began only in 1935, more than a century after the first bishop was consecrated.
Trinity Church on Academy Street had been named the cathedral in 1930, but lacked room for expansion. It quickly merged with All Saints Church on West State Street, surrounded by open land. The Diocese purchased the land and a trio of Trenton architects ~ P.L. Fowler, A.E. Micklewright & Samuel Mountford ~ skillfully incorporated the parish church into the Gothic Revival plan for the new cathedral.
Costs of constructing the Norman-style undercroft designed by Mountford were underwritten by Ferdinand W. Roebling, Jr., who led the Cathedral building drive. The floor is 20 feet below grade with walls that are 6 feet, 8 inches thick. Rounded arches and huge octagonal pillars buttress the weight of the cathedral above, with a roofline which peaks at 60 feet. When it was dedicated January 24, 1954, the cathedral combined two older worship spaces: the original church, now known as Synod Hall, where services were first held to celebrate Easter, 1897, and the 1928 All Saints Chapel.
The elaborate rood screen carved for the former is now installed in the latter, with stained glass from the London studio of C. E. Kempe.
Valentine D’Ogries, the Austrian-born Bucks County artist, designed the cathedral’s contemporary stained-glass windows, including the Roebling gift, with the Brooklyn Bridge.